Friday, January 30, 2009

January 30, 2009 Bacon Explosion

I was surfing the web on Thursday afternooon when the picture on Yahoo struck me, and with nothing planned for men's night dinner, I thought aha! They want meat...I'll give them meat. Little did I know that in giving them what I thought they wanted, I'd be accused of trying to kill the neighborhood... The pictures below are of Bacon Explosion, the recipe which is causing sparks in internet lines everywhere. One site alone was said to have had over 400,000 hits last week alone, with superbowl coming up it's no wonder....I had to try it.
I used...
2 lbs thickly sliced bacon
1.5 lbs sweet italian sausage minus the casings
2 tbs dry BBQ seasoning
3/4 cup BBQ sauce

Take one pound of bacon, and laying it on aluminum foil start a basket weave pattern, until you have a square similar to the one below. Sprinkle some BBQ seasoning on top. Take your italian sausage meat and carefully lay it over your bacon. Fry up remaining bacon until crispy, break into pieces and sprinkly over the italian sausage. Generously drizzle some BBQ over the entire sheet. Without lifting the bottom bacon layer carefully roll the sausage toward you until you reach the bottom. Gently knead to remove air pockets and seal the ends closed. Working backwards roll the bacon along with the sausage roll in the opposite direction until the seam is on the bottom of the roll. Sprinkle with BBQ seasoning and bake in the over at 350 degrees until internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Generally 1 hour for each inch of thickness. Glaze with remaining BBQ sauce, slice and serve as is or as a sandwich filler.






No comments: